BRI History 1996 to 2000

1996
• BRI loans funds for the restoration of three small houses, 518 W. Howe, 520 W. Howe and 521 W. Smith, in Prospect Hill.

• BRI loans funds for the restoration of a gabled-ell house with wraparound porch at 620 W. Fourth St.

1997
• In 1997 and 1998, BRI helps raise $80,000 in NAP credits toward restoration of the Indiana Theater.

• BRI produces a documentary, Taking the High Ground: A Portrait of Maple Grove Road. Funded in part by grants by the Indiana Humanties Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the documentary tells the story of the rural historic district.

• BRI loans funds for improvements to a house at 828 W. Seventh and the shotgun house behind it.

1998
• BRI creates an Affordable Housing Program, focusing on a mission to provide moderately priced housing in historic buildings. BRI starts by purchasing a dilapidated gabled-ell house at West Kirkwood and Waldron to restore.

• BRI buys a second house for its Affordable Housing Program, this one at 601 W. Howe St., and begins restoration.

• BRI loans funds for the restoration of a gable front house at 520 W. Smith in Prospect Hill and a Craftsman bungalow at 908 S. Rogers St. in the McDoel Gardens Neighborhood.

• BRI successfully nominates the Maple Grove Road Historic District to the National Register of Historic Places. The district becomes Indiana’s first rural historic district on the National Register.

1999
• The Affordable Housing initiative helps win BRI a $60,000 grant to hire an executive director. The competitively awarded grant from the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana was HLFI’s first such grant, and it funded BRI’s first paid staff.

• BRI produces a documentary, Taking the High Ground: A Portrait of Maple Grove Road. Funded in part by grants by the Indiana Humanties Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the documentary tells the story of the rural historic district.

• BRI accepts the gift of a Craftsman bungalow at 718 S. Lincoln St. from the City of Bloomington and restores it for affordable housing for a first-time, lower-income homebuyer.

2000
• BRI saves the Fullerton House, a classic mid-19th-century farmhouse on Fullerton Pike. It’s the first project where BRI buys an endangered old building and sells it to someone who agrees to restore it. 

• BRI saves three houses on West First Street set for demolition by moving them to vacant lots. The houses were restored at 1020 S. Madison and 414 W. Allen St. in the McDoel Gardens Neighborhood and 1001 W. Seventh St. in the Near West Side Historic District. The houses, donated by Bloomington Hospital along with what would have been spent on demolition, were rehabbed by BRI’s Affordable Housing Program.

• BRI saves the parsonage of the Second Baptist Church by moving it a block north to 615 W. Ninth, a lot provided free of charge by the City of Bloomington. The Craftsman bungalow is restored as affordable housing by BRI.

• BRI works with the City of Bloomington to help save the Legg House by successfully advocating the listing of the house on the National Register of Historic Places, which leads to a successful grant application to the state for restoration funds. The Legg House is on South Henderson Street between Third and Atwater.

• BRI loans funds for the restoration of a Queen Anne cottage at 312 S. Euclid St., a Free Classic house at 322 W. Second St., and a bungalow at 525 S. Madison, in the Prospect Hill Neighborhood.

• BRI earns a Housing Success Story Award from the Southern Indiana Rural Development Project for BRI’s moving and restoring of four houses for affordable housing.

BRI History 2001 to 2005