BRI History 2006 to Present
• BRI saves a rundown gabled-ell house at 8188 W. Stine St. in Stinesville to restore to provide affordable housing.
• BRI loans restoration funds to the owner of a two-story brick Colonial Revival house at 311 E. First St. in Bloomington.
• BRI saves a 1940s, all-metal Lustron house that was to be demolished behind the St. Thomas Lutheran Church. A new owner agrees to disassemble and reconstruct the house on a new site.
• The landmark Stinesville Christian Church goes back into use after decades of abandonment. BRI stepped in to save the building in 2001, buying it and selling to a new owner who restored the exterior and adapted the interior into a loft home.
• BRI acquires an abandoned double-pen type house at 513 W. Seventh St. and sells it to a new owner who restores it.
• BRI saves a rundown gabled-ell type house at 1101 W. Seventh St. in the Near West Side Historic District by acquiring it and then selling it to a new owner who agrees to restore it.
• BRI buys a Craftsman bungalow at 603 W. Wylie St. and sells it to a new owner who agrees to restore the exterior.
• With help from the City of Bloomington, the Hinkle-Garton Farmstead is placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
• BRI builds its first new house, a gabled-ell house on what was a vacant lot at 8180 N. Medley St. in the historic district of Stinesville. The house is part of BRI’s Affordable Housing Program.
• BRI earns a Historic Preservation Award from the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana for BRI’s work to restore and revitalize the historic district of Stinesville.
• BRI buys the Fletcher House, a Greek Revival I House in Ellettsville, and sells it to a couple who agree to restore the exterior.
• BRI helps the Prospect Hill Neighborhood gain Conservation District protection. All demolition, building, and moving of primary structures in the district now require approval from the Bloomington Historic Preservation Commission.
• BRI saves a 1920s Colonial Revival house buy purchasing it and finding a buyer to restore it. The vacant house on the corner of Walnut and Vermilya had been wasting away from roof failure.
• BRI saves a 1920s brick bungalow slatted demolition by acquiring it and selling it to new owners who move it from 16th and Walnut streets to 1111 S. Henderson for restoration.
• BRI completes an $80,000 restoration of the Hinkle-Garton Farmhouse in cooperation with the City of Bloomington. Half of the funds were from a federal grant from the state preservation office.
• BRI builds a second new, infill house in the Stinesville Historic District. The house, part of BRI’s Affordable Housing Program, is at 8130 N. Medley St.
• BRI buys a Craftsman bungalow at 706 W. Allen St. and sells it to new owners who agree to restore the exterior.
• BRI agrees to buy a fire damaged gable-ell house at 8121 W. Elm St. in Stinesville to restore as affordable housing.
• BRI takes an option to purchase a two-story Queen Anne house at 9030 W. SR 48 and begins seeking a buyer who will agree to restore it.